The OutreachISE Research Initiative aims to engage undergraduate students in research with ISE faculty and learn about the research process and opportunities in our field. This initiative involves students across a variety of disciplines within and outside engineering working in research teams in different areas. Through this initiative, undergraduate students:
- Learn what research is and how impactful it can be
- Enhance their educational experience and build their resumes
- Develop and practice skills relevant to future graduate studies and jobs
- Make informed decisions about their career progression
- Disseminate knowledge by presenting at conferences and writing technical papers
A parallel Professional Development series provides students the opportunity to learn more about and prepare for research careers in academia and industry. We hold a series of seminars that engage the students in learning about and considering an academic and/or research path in our field, and we tackle topics from the very practical (how do you find and read ISE papers?) to the more abstract (how do you decide if you want to pursue grad school or follow a research career in ISE-related areas?). Learn more about our current projects here and about our professional development seminars here. Past projects can be found as well — look here for inspiration.